Marshall Fire Information

Hide Featured Image

News update posted on January 2, 2022. 

On December 30, 2021 Governor Jared Polis verbally declared a state of emergency due to a grass fire created by high winds across the Front Range.

On Dec. 31, 2021 President Biden approved a major disaster declaration for Colorado to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by wildfires and straight-line winds beginning on Dec. 30, 2021 and continuing. The Public Assistance Program and Individual Assistance Programs were approved for Boulder County.


Boulder County Resource Links

State and Federal Resource Links

A Marshall Fire Recovery page will be available at on January 3 providing information and links to the major disaster declaration programs and support.

Social Media Links

Information updates are posted first to the state social media links. You do not need a social media account to access the information

General Information and Links

Behavioral Health Resources

  • ​​ContactColorado Crisis Services at 844-493-8255, or text “TALK” to 38255, to speak  with a professional counselor about any area where you could use support for yourself or a loved one, from loneliness and isolation, to stress, relationship issues, substance use and other common concerns.
  • JFS Boulder County Crisis Counseling: In response to multiple tragic events over the last year, Jewish Family Service and Community Foundation Boulder County have partnered to offer counseling services to Boulder County residents. The program offers up to $500 towards five individual counseling sessions (a maximum of $100 per session), or up to $875 towards five family counseling sessions (a maximum of $175 per session) and provides a pool of licensed providers from which to choose.  
    • Update as of November 15, 2023: JFS and Community Foundation Boulder County have partnered to offer counseling services to Boulder County residents who have been affected by the Marshall Fire. This program is generously supported by CFBC’s Boulder County Wildfire Fund.

Individuals that have been impacted by the fire can identify and select from a pool of local licensed behavioral health providers. The program offers ten free individual or family counseling sessions for youths and adults. This program is not intended for clients already working with an existing therapist.

Insurance Information

  • If you have been displaced by the fires, contact your insurance agent or company immediately to let them know where you are staying. Not only can they help you with coverage or claims questions, they can help find lodging options as many people in the area will be temporarily displaced.
  • To find the contact information of your homeowners or auto insurance company go to Insurance Company Claims Filing Telephone Numbers
  • Save all receipts for living expenses if you’ve been evacuated or displaced by the fire, as homeowners or renters in these situations typically have insurance coverage for additional living expenses (ALE) which provides them with an amount of out-of-pocket money while evacuated. Check with your insurance company or agent about your coverage. If you are unable to live in your house or apartment because of the fire, most policies will also reimburse you the difference between your additional living expenses and your normal living expenses. Again, check with your insurance company or agent about your coverage.
  • Start the claim process as soon as you can. For your home, any out buildings and vehicles, you’ll want to contact your insurance company or agent right away to begin the claim process. However, these fires were devastating and many people have been significantly impacted, so the insurance process will take time.
  • If possible, and only if it is safe to do so, try to document any damage by taking photos.
  • If your home survived the fires, it may still have experienced damage from smoke or water, or to the electrical systems or other damage due to the extreme heat or the snow and cold. As with direct fire damage, contact your insurance company or agent as soon as possible to start the claims process.
  • If you have questions about insurance, contact the Division of Insurance. The Division’s Consumer Services Team will staff the phones and answer emails from 8 a.m - 5 p.m., including this weekend and next weekend. While claims need to be filed with the insurance companies, the Division can assist consumers with questions about insurance and the claims process. Contact the Consumer Service Team at 303-894-7490 / 800-930-3745 (outside of the Denver metro area) / or visit our website, (click on “File a Complaint”).
  • Renters should contact their renters' insurance. If you do not have rental insurance please apply for FEMA assistance.